I recently found a French bergere chair on Offerup. I think I paid $60 for it. I loved the style and shape of it and I knew exactly how I wanted to finish it. I love antique French sheets. I use one to throw over my couch. I also had a friend make a slipcover for another chair using an antique French sheet. I had some left over from previous projects and thankfully it was just enough for this chair.
First things first. I removed all the old fabric. This is where a flat head screwdriver and pliers will be your best friend. It is a tedious and sometimes painful task but the end result will make it all worth while. Make sure to not damage the original fabric as that will be your template for cutting the new fabric as seen below.
After I removed all the fabric I was ready to paint the frame. I used Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint in the color Linen. It chipped beautifully but I didn't want it to chip any further so I sealed it with polycrylic. Here it is all stripped and painted.
Next step was cutting the new fabric. The original batting was in great condition with no smells so I left it. I took the old fabric pieces which I used as my template and cut my new pieces. (Make sure to label each piece so you know how to put it back). I then grabbed my staple gun and went to work stapling the new fabric on.
I am not a very skilled sewer. I can do the basics and that's about it. I have been wanting to start sewing again and when my husband gifted me with a sewing machine I was thrilled! And this chair was my first ever attempt at a seat cushion. I kind of just jumped in and went for it! I cut a new seat cushion, which included the top, bottom and sides. I made my own piping by sewing 2" strips of fabric over cording. I then sewed all the pieces together and made the back open and close with velcro. It is by no means perfect but I just love it. Mainly because I did it myself! So Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it! Finally, to cover my staples and give the chair that finished look, I added gimp with some fabric glue.
Here's the before....
And here's the after....
I hope you enjoyed the post and are inspired to tackle your own chair makeover.